Sweet Chili Green Beans
10 ounces green beans, washed and ends trimmed
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili paste, such as sambal olek
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (we like honey or maple syrup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil (such as grapeseed or avocado)
- 1 small mild or hot chile, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon white wine or rice vinegar
- Lime wedges
Prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl with water and a decent amount of ice. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add your beans. Blanch for 1 minute, or until tender when you try one. Remove from the water and immediately add the beans to the ice bath. Let sit for a few minutes before draining in a colander. Set aside.
- Combine the ginger, chili paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and garlic in a bowl, and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chile, vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Set aside to sit for a few minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add the oil. Add the beans, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they begin to blister and take on some color. Add the sauce, give everything a toss, and turn off the heat. Let sit for a few minutes before transferring to a serving dish and garnishing with the fresh chili and serving with the lime wedges to squeeze over.