Roasted Squash & Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette, Pumpkin Seeds and Goat Cheese
1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb delicata squash, halved, seeded, and sliced into ¼” half moons
- 12 ounces beets, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon toasted & ground coriander seed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 ounces frisée, arugula, or other salad green of your choice
- 1 handful herbs of your choice (parsley, mint, dill, cilantro, etc)
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds or hazelnuts
- 2-3 ounces goat cheese (optional)
- Flaky salt
- Black pepper
For the Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Combine shallot, honey, vinegar, and a big pinch of salt. Let sit for 10 minutes, then whisk in the olive oil and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
For the Roasted Squash & Beets
- Preheat your oven to 425º F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients and a big pinch of salt in a large bowl, and toss to combine and coat everything with oil. Spread evenly on the baking sheet, and roast for 15-25 minutes, tossing everything halfway through baking, or until everything is tender and has a bit of color on it. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
To Assemble & Serve
Combine frisée, the roasted vegetables, herbs, and a handful of seeds/nuts. Add a big pinch of flaky salt and your desired amount of vinaigrette, then toss everything to combine.
At this point I like to incorporate the goat cheese throughout the salad before serving, by grabbing a big handful of the salad and scattering half of the cheese in the middle, putting the remaining salad back on top, and scattering the remaining goat cheese over everything (call it “salad layering”, if you will).
Garnish the salad with the microgreens, remaining seeds/nuts, and a few grinds of black pepper. Enjoy!