One-Pan Chicken, Broccoli, and Fall Greens with Salsa Verde
1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 cups mixed herbs (parsley, cilantro, dill, chives, etc.) and their stems, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice, red or white wine vinegar (see note)
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or 2 cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 lemon, washed and sliced into thin rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pepper (poblano, bell, etc), seeded and sliced into ¼” slices
- ½ red onion, cut into ¼” thick slices
- 8 ounces baby broccoli (or broccoli florets)
- 1 small bunch curly kale, stems removed and torn into 4” pieces or 1 small or ½ large head radicchio, core removed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Salsa Verde (recipe above)
- Flaky salt
- Fresh herbs
For the Salsa Verde (makes approx 2 cups)
Food Processor Method: Combine shallot, garlic, lemon zest, and a big pinch of salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add your olive oil and process, scraping down the food processor as necessary. Add your herbs and process until finely chopped and becoming relatively smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and thin with additional olive oil to reach the consistency of a semi-thick yogurt. Whisk in lemon juice or vinegar if using (see note). Season to taste with salt and additional vinegar, as needed.
By Hand Method: Mince shallot and garlic and combine with a big pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Add oil and whisk with a fork to combine. Finley chop your herbs and whisk into the oil mixture. Thin with additional olive oil to reach the consistency of a semi-thick yogurt, and add lemon or vinegar if using (see note). Season to taste with salt and additional vinegar, as needed.
Note: leave out the lemon juice or vinegar unless you plan to use all the salsa verde in a day (this will help it keep longer; 5 days or so). Store the Verde in an air-tight container with a drizzle of olive oil on its surface, and add in lemon juice or vinegar to taste just before using.
For the Sheet Pan Roast
- Preheat oven to 450º F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If using chicken, cut the thighs into 2” pieces. In a bowl, combine chicken or chickpeas, lemon slices, garlic, pepper, red onion, a glug of olive oil, and a few pinches of salt. Spread on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the broccoli with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt. After the 10 minutes have passed, reduce the oven to 400º F, and add the broccoli to the baking sheet with the chicken. Bake for another 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the kale or radicchio with a drizzle of olive oil and a big pinch of salt. After the 5-7 minutes have passed for the broccoli, give the mixture a stir then add the greens and roast for a final 5-7 minutes.
- Give everything on the tray a toss together, and arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with fresh herbs and a sprinkle of flaky salt. Enjoy with any of the following sides!
Other Recommended Accompaniments: yogurt, calabrian chiles in oil, cooked grains