Heirloom Tomato & Summer Vegetables with Feta and Fennel Seed Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 ounces summer squash, roughly cut into 1” pieces (1 ½ cups cut)
- 1 teaspoon avocado or grapeseed oil
- 2 ounces fennel, shaved on a mandoline or very thinly sliced (¾ cup sliced)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ small jalapeno or serrano pepper, very thinly sliced (optional)
- ½ lb heirloom tomatoes, roughly cut into wedges or slices (1 large)
- 1 medium stone fruit (i.e. peach or nectarine), roughly cut into wedges or chunks (optional)
- 2-3 ounces feta cheese, sliced into ¼” blocks
- Handful of herbs (basil, dill, oregano)
- Flaky salt
For the Fennel Seed Vinaigrette
- Combine fennel seeds and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Swirling the pan often, bloom the spices in the oil for 2-3 minutes, or until the seeds are fragrant and lightly toasted. Remove from heat and pour into a heat-safe bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and a big pinch of salt. Season to taste with additional salt as needed.
For the Vegetables
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high heat and add 1 teaspoon oil. Add your squash and a big pinch of salt, and cook for 3-5 minutes, tossing occasionally, until tender and golden brown on a few sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the fennel, shallot, and chile (if using) with a few spoonfuls of the dressing. On a serving plate, arrange fennel, tomatoes, stone fruit (if using), summer squash, and feta, alternating ingredients to create layers as you go. Drizzle the vinaigrette over everything and garnish with herbs and a pinch of flaky salt. Enjoy!