Einkorn and Bitter Greens with Toasted Walnuts, Apple, and Orange Shallot Vinaigrette
1 ½ cups bluebird whole grain einkorn berries (3 cups cooked)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- Garlic clove
- Bay leaf
- Thyme, optional
- 3 cups of brussel sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups torn radicchio or arugula
- ¼-½ cup crumbled blue cheese (we like Cascadia Creamery!)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Flakey salt
⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 3 cup olive oil
- ½ shallot finely chopped ~ ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon honey
Toast einkorn berries in a medium hot skillet for about 3-5 minutes until wonderfully nutty smelling. Add to pot with 2 cups of water with the red pepper flakes, salt black pepper, garlic and thyme and cook for 20-25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes and strain off excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, add a glug of olive oil to a medium-hot pan. Cook Brussel sprouts for about 5 minutes to soften and give a nice color. Set aside.
- Make dressing by combining all ingredients and whisking together. Add more acid or salt if needed. Get that zing!
- Combine brussel sprouts, arugula or torn radicchio, half of walnuts and blue cheese. Toss together with a half cup of the dressing. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts and blue cheese and finish with flakey salt.