Baby Gems with Roasted Radishes, Fennel & Dijon Poppyseed Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 strips orange zest, thinly sliced into ribbons or ½ orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or more vinegar)
- 1 ½ teaspoons poppy seeds (see note)
- 1-2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 medium radishes, washed and quartered
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 heads baby gem, butter lettuce hearts, or other small lettuce, washed
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- Roasted radishes (recipe above)
- ¼ cup tarragon or other tender herb
- Flaky salt
Dijon Poppyseed Dressing (recipe above)
For the Dijon Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- Combine shallot, orange zest, honey, vinegar and lemon juice, along with a pinch of salt. Whisk to incorporate everything and let sit for 10 minutes. Whisk in mustard and olive oil, and season to taste with salt.
Note: if avoiding poppy seeds you could substitute toasted fennel seed, nigella, or sesame.
For the Roasted Radishes
- Heat a medium heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add your oil and the radishes, along with a big pinch of salt. Toss to combine, and cook for 4-5 minutes, tossing occasionally, so the edges of the radishes are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Trim the ends of the lettuce heads, just enough to remove the reddish brown part while keeping the head intact. Starting at the end of the head, cut it in half lengthwise (and in quarters if very large) to make wedges. Put the lettuce wedges in a bowl and drizzle some of the dressing over them. Gently toss and rub the dressing into the wedges, then arrange them on a serving plate. Add the sliced fennel, roasted radishes, and tarragon to the bowl, along with a pinch of flaky salt. Toss with dressing and scatter over the lettuce wedges. Serve immediately, along with additional dressing for the table.