A late winter, or "pre-spring" as we like to say, take on a Waldorf salad.
Arugula Waldorf Salad with Poppy Seed Yogurt Dressing
60 grams / 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 10 grams / 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1-2 stalks celery, cut into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 110 grams / 5 cups arugula, watercress, or claytonia
- 150 grams / approx 1 medium pear, cut into ¼-½ inch cubes or thinly sliced
- 1 handful parsley leaves
- 40 grams / ¼ cup thinly sliced dried apricots or dried cherries
- 30 grams / ¼ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled or thinly sliced
- Flaky salt
For the Poppy Seed Yogurt Dressing
Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil in a small bowl, along with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
Slowly stream in the olive oil and whisk everything together to incorporate.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To Assemble & Serve
- Soak the celery ribbons in ice water for 15 minutes while preparing the rest of your ingredients, then drain and spin in a salad spinner or shake to remove excess water.
Combine the celery, greens, pear, parsley leaves, dried fruit, and half of the walnuts and cheese in a large bowl, along with a big pinch of flaky salt.
Drizzle desired amount of the dressing over everything and toss to combine and evenly coat.
Arrange the salad in a serving bowl or on a large plate, and scatter the remaining walnuts and cheese over the top, along with a bit more flaky salt. Enjoy immediately.